Sunday 4 February 2018

Unfound Greats

Are you the kind of person who loves being the first to discover new music, and then bringing it to your circle? Well my friend, I like you.


I run a web-series/community that will interest you, Unfound Greats (See where I got my brand name from?)  The aim of UG is to act much like a small-scaled BBC Introducing or NME Presents, giving a platform for unsigned and indie bands and artists of all genres to promote themselves and their music.
Banner for Unfound Greats, in 80s style

Whilst not on a scheduled run, the episodes are pretty regular, they last no more than 15 minutes, feature a short interview, followed by a performance, preferably live, and are quite fun to make. The featured star gets a little practise in an interview in an informal, comfortable way, and I get to practise my art, meet potential friends, and discover some awesome music!

The platform is open to musicians of all genres, as long as they are dedicated to their artform. Proof of this, for example, is having an EP produced.

I got into combining video with music thanks to a mate in a band. Dan Brown, from local punk-rock act The Take Down, wanted a music video to help promote them, way back in 2016. I loved their material, combining joyous punk-rock sounds, epic guitar riffs and surprisingly deep, depressing lyrics, it sounded like fun, and his idea was quite solid. Together, we planned and executed it rather well, I learnt a lot, mostly that I loved doing it.
Screen grab of Sublime, the four band members playing in the woods

From that, I developed the idea of a web-series with a simple enough premise and scale that one might do it alone or in a pair. The Great Unsigned, Unsigned Greats, no, finally, Unfound Greats was created. My first guest for the pilot/first episode was Weekend Recovery, fronted by the awesome energy that is Lori. Inevitable flaws aside, I loved the journey, learning about and listening to this small, seemingly insignificant 4 piece.
Lori of Weekend Recovery doing her thing

The Take Down and Weekend Recovery are so incredibly significant in the story of Unfound Greats though, and in my own. Without meeting and working with them, I would not be writing this now, I would not have starred 20 plus artists last year, and I probably would not have the happiness and confidence I do now. Or a burgeoning band tee collection!

Highlights of our first year included The Take Down & Weekend Recovery (Naturally) as well as a wonderful solo ukulele piece from cross-genre punker Millie from Millie Manders & The Shut Up. Our first attempt at a transatlantic episode starring the interestingly named Sex With Rollercoasters and discovering the awesome voice and dance moves of H Boss. That man really pumps you up!
Millie performing a solo, of Millie Manders & The Shut Up fame


In essence, Unfound Greats is a music discovery platform not from a music student or critic, but from one who loves to listen to music, loves to discover music, and loves to share music.


Give it a watch, you might just discover something you love! Jump over to our Facebook page too, where you can see an array of photos, extras, and have an input as to who I feature this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment