Sunday 4 February 2018

Dead Baby Frog

I am a cis white male, full of social privilege, I shouldn’t know anything about oppression, persecution and ridicule, but I am also ginger. Our group is the last widely acceptable group to openly ridicule. It’s tragic, I never know when I’m going to next be asked if the ‘curtains match the drapes’ or be called ‘Gingernut.’


Of course, I joke, not about being ginger, I really am, and the jokes are tiresome. I mean about really knowing anything about the social oppression and abuse that religious and ethnic minorities, women, LGBT+ and the fat communities suffer on a near daily basis. I like to educate myself though and try to use my privilege where I can in the name of equality. I am a friend, a feminist and an ally, an umbrella term I guess would be an equalist.

https://sohotheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SofieHagen_DeadBabyFrog_PublicityImage.jpg


This blog post is about Sofie Hagen, Denmark’s finest comedian. Last night (03/02/2018) Gina (my partner) and I took the opportunity to see her perform her latest stand up show ‘Dead Baby Frog’ (DBF) on her last UK tour date in Canterbury. Sofie is a feminist, she is also fat, healthy & proud. Whilst not quite as funny as her previous show ‘Shimmer Shatter,’ which can be purchased on her site, her third show is great, somewhat transcending comedy with its strong message. Sofie successfully uses this show as a platform to spread feminism and equality, DBF is in equal measures entertaining and enlightening. Her stories are honest, at one point as she spoke about her step-mom dad (watch the show,) I genuinely welled up a little as Sofie spoke about how emotionally brutal he was to her family growing up. Thankfully, he is currently getting his comeuppance in hilarious fashion.

I learned a lot during this show, not least, about how much I respect the wonderful talent that is Sofie Hagen. One thing we did not learn though, was the name of the bastard comedian she watched at Edinburgh Fringe. A few names ran through my head, Frankie Boyle? No, too obvious, Jimmy Carr? He likes to shock, surely not though, Sofie has just been appeared on Roast Battle hosted by him. Ricky Gervais? He likes to shock, but when did he last do Fringe. Lastly, I thought of that prick Jim Davidson, but no one goes to his shows anymore… I hope she reveals his name in a biography, it is one of those questions that will forever bug me!

After the show, it dawned on me she really has a point regarding oppression. She is funny as fuck, but vocally rebellious against current social norms, why do we not see more of her on TV? Never mind, the internet is breaking down barriers, where Sofie runs a wonderfully interesting podcast called Made of Human, or PodMOH. Check it out, she has spoken with many brilliant people like Josie Long, Scroobius Pip & Nish Kumar. All in all, this show is well worth the watch, whilst her next run of London shows are sold out, I am sure there will be a video release soon after... Look out for it!

Talents like Sofie Hagen, who skilfully blend comedy with tragic tales will help bring a change in society. I believe we share the same mentality, as long as we aren’t hurting or oppressing others we should be who we want to be and live how we want to live.

Except Nazis, Nazis can fuck off.

Me Sporting Sofie's 'SLUTTY MOMMOM' badge

No comments:

Post a Comment